Thursday 19 March 2009

Down with the C

In 1996 my Grandmother asked me what I wanted for my 9th birthday. I told her I wanted a CD - namely Coolio 'Gangsta's Paradise'. My Granny had no idea what Coolio was but being the caring old lady she was she tottered out and bought me said CD. I can only imagine the look on the store attendant's face when this sweet old lady politely asked for an album about homies living in the ghetto.

I loved Coolio for the few months that it took me to grow out of my brief hip hop phase. Then Coolio kind of fell off the map. I assumed he was dead.

Fast forward to 2009 and imagine my surprise when I hear word that Coolio has announced plans to tour Australia. It made me smile on the inside, although it was kind of sad as some people obviously just don't know when to let it go. (Hi Vanilla Ice!!!)

So far the big C's efforts to get back in the game have been less than impressive. Last month while performing at Staffordshire University in Stoke-on-Trent, England, he attempted to stage dive into the audience. However the crowd parted and let him crash to the floor. As he lay there in pain, the crowd mugged him, stealing his watch, gold chain, sunglasses and one shoe. And all this by a bunch of Pommy uni students.

As if this wasn't embarrassing enough, it has just been announced that Coolio's tour Down Under has been cancelled after he was caught in LAX with crack cocaine. Classy.

So to all of you out there who were looking forward to partying with the original Gangsta, this one is for you.



And while I'm at it...




EC - Pouring some out for my Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment